Beale AFB: A St. Waste Water Pond

Beal AFB
Stored Grains Present: 
Primary Substrate: 
cattails (Typha spp.)
Secondary Substrate: 
Himalayan blackberry (Rubus armeniacus)

A most interesting site. 75% of the cattails are occupied by nesting tricolors. The remaining 25% is occupied by nesting Redwings. Also, there is approximately 450 square meters of H. Blackberry on the back edge of pond that is occupied by tricolors. In addition, we observed Black-crowned Night Herons moving about the cattails in search of eggs or chicks. A couple of Green Herons were observed as well. This is the first site in Placer, Yuba, or Butte, that I've observed tricolors using cattails.

Observations from this Location

Record Observation Date Observer Number of Birds Data Source
Data 2017-04-09 Ann Bedlion 0 Statewide Survey, 2017 (unpublished)
Data 2016-05-13 500 Personal Observation
Data 2016-04-29 1500 Personal Observation
Javascript is required to view this map.